Mollegaard history

The Mollegaard is located together with Kruså water mill and served originally as a farm house for the miller. The first water mill was built in 17th century, when a dam was made on the Krusau river and the Mill lake was formed. The mill burned down 1768, but was rebuilt by the miller, with permission from the Danish king. The miller payed taxes for its use, but he also had some benefits - the local farmers in the area were forced to provide corn grain for the mill and they were also required to work some days per year at the mill. Kruså water mill was once the largest business in Kruså and in 1920 three mill wheels were running in parallel. One was for the corn mill, another was for grain and the third was for paper. The activities in the mill stopped in 1964, when its commercial basis was no longer viable. The mill was subsequently sold to the Kruså municipality, thereby accepting full responsibility for its continued upkeep and maintenance. As far as Mollegaard (mill farm) is concerned, it was built in 1878 and served until 1920 as the accommodation and farm house for the miller, his family and staff. In 1920 the mill was sold to the Danish state and the miller moved to a house on the other side of the watermill. The Danish state converted the buildings to official residences for the gendarmerie, who patrolled the nearby Danish/German border established in 1920 just 500 metres south of Kruså. In 1977 the Mollegaard was sold to a private individual, who converted the building into 20 owner-occupied flats and separate families moved into the building. In 1992 it was completely renovated and refurbished. On the right is a picture of the water mill and below some early photos of Mollegaard and how it looks today.

Krusaa Water Mill as it looks today